Thursday 8 August 2013

Eid ul Fitr - Celebrating the End of Ramadaan

Celebrating the end of the fasting month of Ramadaan with Eid ul Fitr
Today was the last day of the fasting for the month of Ramadaan (check out this post for a quick explanation if you don't know what that is), and tomorrow is the day of Eid to celebrate the end of the fasting month. On this day families usually have huge get-togethers and cook up the most delicious yummy stuff they can think of. If you'd like to wish someone for this day, the thing to say would be "Eid Mubarak" (pronounced eed moobaaruk).
I love experimenting with baking and desserts (I'm not much of a cook), but I don't do it much coz I end up eating the entire thing myself. Eid is a good excuse to whip out some recipes I've been wanting to try, so for tomorrow I'm attempting the Persian Love Cake and a Strawberry Charlotte
Persian Love Cake
I've actually already prepared the Persian Love Cakes and am quite happy with how they turned out. I made them in little shaped cupcakes instead of a big cake and all that's left to do is the decorating. The texture is amazing and the flavours are really interesting and unusual. It mixes the flavours of cardamom, saffron and rose with a hint of lemon. Here's the recipe I used, and I came across it via good ol' Pinterest. (Follow me if you like!)

Strawberry Charlotte dessert
The Strawberry Charlotte is half assembled. Not gonna lie, I'm a bit nervous about it holding together, but let's just hope it does. If it doesn't, I'll just have to improvise! When looking at different recipes I saw that pretty much every recipe did it slightly differently, so I made up my own version from that. It's basically layers or vanilla cake, strawberries and strawberry mousse, surrounded by "lady fingers" or Boudoir Biscuits as we know them here in SA. The image is from this recipe, but I used the mousse from this recipe. (I got lazy and used a store bought basic sponge cake :P).

Will share pics if they turn out looking presentable enough, haha! If you're celebrating, Eid Mubarak and have a lovely day, but don't overeat! If you're not celebrating and are in SA, happy Women's Day! And if you're anywhere else, happy Friday and have a lovely weekend :)

6 comments :

  1. That cake sounds delicious. I've never tasted saffron, I'm really curious about it, but it's so expensive :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had an awesome Eid Fathima :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jowhara! I did, hope you did, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was delicious! The texture was amazing. Saffron definitely has a unique taste and you only need the tiniest little amount at a time. Maybe try it at a restaurant if you see something with it on the menu ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover